.

Saturday, January 26, 2019

To Kill a Mockingbird Passage

If you had a go off conscience, why were you panic-struck? Like I says before, it werent safe for every(prenominal) nigger to be in afix like that. exclusively you werent in a fixyou testified that you were resisting run away Ewell. Were you so scared that shed hurt you, you ran, a big buck like you? No suh, Is scared Id be in court, sound like I am now. Scared of arrest, scared youd have to face up to what you did? No suh, scared Id hafta face up to what I didnt do. Are you being irreverent to me, male child? No suh, I didnt go to be. This was as ofttimes as I heard of Mr. Gilmers cross-examination, because Jem made me take dill out.For some reason dill weed had started crying and couldnt stop restfully at first, then his sobs were heard by several people in the balcony. Jem give tongue to if I didnt go with him hed take a leak me, and Reverend Sykes said Id better go, so I went. Dill had seemed to be all right that day, nothing wrong with him, except I guessed he hadnt fully recovered from running away. personalt you feeling effective? I asked, when we reached the bottom of the stairs. Dill tested to pull himself together as we ran down the south steps. Mr. Link Deas was a lonely figure on the top step. Anything happenin, Scout? he asked as we went by. No sir, I answered over my shoulder. Dill here, hes sick. have sex on out under the trees, I said. Heat got you, I expect. We chose the fattest prevail oak and we sat under it. It was besides him I couldnt stand, Dill said. Who, Tom? That old Mr. Gilmer doin him thataway, talking so hateful to him Dill, thats his job. Why, if we didnt have prosecutorswell, we couldnt have defense attorneys, I reckon. Dill exhaled patiently. I know all that, Scout. It was the way he said it made me sick, bare sick. Hes supposed to symbolise that way, Dill, he was cross paginate 202 He didnt act that way when Dill, those were his own witnesses. Well, Mr. Finch didnt act that way to Mayella an d old man Ewell when he crossexamined them. The way that man called him boy all the time an sneered at him, an looked around at the jury every time he answered Well, Dill, after all hes right a Negro. I dont care one speck. It aint right, somehow it aint right to do em that way. Hasnt anybody got any business talkin like thatit just makes me sick. Thats just Mr. Gilmers way, Dill, he does em all that way. Youve never seen him get goodn down on one yet.Why, whenwell, today Mr. Gilmer seemed to me like he wasnt half stressful. They do em all that way, most lawyers, I mean. Mr. Finch doesnt. Hes not an example, Dill, hes I was trying to grope in my memory for a sharp phrase of Miss Maudie Atkinsons. I had it Hes the same in the courtroom as he is on the public streets. Thats not what I mean, said Dill. I know what you mean, boy, said a voice behind us. We mind it came from the tree-trunk, but it belonged to Mr. Dolphus Raymond. He peered around the trunk at us. You arent thin-h ided, it just makes you sick, doesnt it? Page 203

No comments:

Post a Comment